Soft Margarine

A small group of us were recenty gifted some bags of material for a project. As the fabric spoils were divided amongst us, out popped this ageing, plastic tub filled with buttons and scraps. I could see noses politely wrinkling at the thought of being left with it; true, it's not pretty. However, to save any further embarrassment, I offered to take it away. Cue sighs of relief.
Does anyone else remember Echo? I think that this particular packaging design is from quite late on in the UK production of Echo - 1980's? Possibly not long before it stopped being available in the UK?
Vintage adverts for Echo still pop up on Ebay from time to time such as HERE. 
Seem to remember it was quite popular for making sponge cake with...?

A small example of a piece of domestic history which disappears from memory without you realising that it has gone. 


Comments

nilly said…
Yes, I remember the solid blocks which my mother somehow managed to soften and "cream", whipping it up with sugar,eggs and flour to make a sponge cake. I don't remember ever seeing the tubs though. Perhaps I was using healthier alternatives by the '80s!
Murgatroyd said…
Hi Nilly,
We didn't have it at home (no cake bakers in the house when growing up sadly, sniff)but I do remember seeing the blocks in shops, and then later the tubs.
Vintage Jane said…
It was always 'Blue Band' soft margarine in our house. It was excellent for making cakes and scones.
Murgatroyd said…
Hello VJ...I think Echo was Blue Band's poor relation...